Monday 20 May 2013

The Camp Chronicles: The Grim Adventures of Sean Connell

    Whew! It's good to be home. A long weekend at camp doing pretty much nothing except eating crappy food and being forced to beatbox for the entertainment of others is far from a worthy topic, but because I have nothing else to talk about, I'm going to write about it anyway. 

The Camp Chronicles: Friday
   Woke up at 8:00 and started packing. I didn't have to do much, since I packed most of the stuff the night before, but there was still some work to be done, so I did it. 4 hours later, I'm in Lakehurst, ON being eaten alive by mosquitoes while desperately trying to set up my tent. At this point, I am thinking "This is going to be a long weekend." My assumptions proved correct. My good friend Juan arrived about an hour after I did. That was relieving, because I was worried about not having anyone to talk to. We talked back and forth a bit, and before we knew it, we were asleep.

The Camp Chronicles: Saturday
    Woke up Saturday feeling great. There is just something about sleeping outside that makes getting up so easy. I think it's the fresh air. Anyway. I got up, had a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and I was ready for the day. Now, the few of you who know me well, know that I have a deathly fear of water, So Saturday was my day in personal hell. One of the guys at the camp brought a boat, and decided that it would be a good time to put it in the water, so we all went down to the beach. After the boat got put into the water, we had to dock it, and the dock was just a little ways down the lake, so reluctantly, I got in the boat, put on a life jacket, and we were off. Being a person who is afraid of water, getting into a boat is a weird experience, because before you get in the boat, your nerves are shot. You think boats are the devil in metal form coming to capsize with you in it. Once you are in the boat however, you feel perfectly fine. We went for a cruise, and docked the boat just fine. About 10 minutes later, Juan decides that he wants to go to one of the islands in the middle of the lake, and wants me to come with him. He begins to pressure me to get into a canoe and go with him. My problem is that canoes can capsize much easier than boats do. After 10 minutes of deliberating, I finally decide to go.

The Camp Chronicles: Saturday Part II
    I hop into the canoe and we start paddling. Now, this was the first time that I had ever been in a canoe, and Juan wasn't very experienced either, (He never admitted it verbally, but I could tell, since he couldn't tell the difference between a canoe and a kayak) but we eventually made it to this island. We got on land, and feeling pretty good about myself, sat down. I had made it about 1km across a lake on my first time canoeing. All of a sudden, I hear "Woah!" from behind me. I get up, and after some intense parkour over trees and such, I see Juan holding a pile of empty shotgun casings. So, that's cool. The trip back to the docks was where everything fell apart. As we were on our way back, we got caught in the wind, and our efforts to paddle forward were thwarted by the fact that we were sitting in the canoe backwards. We actually had to stop at another island, call over one of the other campers, and Juan and him switched boats so we could get home. All in all, we spent over 2 hours on the water because of a stupid mistake.

The Camp Chronicles: Sunday
    Sunday was crappy. I was rudely awakened at about 9:00am after being kept up until close to 1:00am by the same person who woke me up. We had a small church meeting, and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the day.

The Camp Chronicles: Monday
    Monday was okay. I got up at about 7:00am and started packing. Once everything was packed, it was discovered that one of the guys at the camp had 2 extra 2 litre bottles of root beer he had to get rid of. Note to self. Watching somebody attempt to chug and entire bottle of rootbeer is fun. Attempting it yourself, is not fun. My stomach really hurt afterward, and I felt like I was going to be sick multiple times. I failed the challenge, much to the chagrin of all my fellow campmates, and much to the dismay of myself. Flash forward about 5 hours. I'm home now. Camp was fun, home is better. Hopefully I can remember to blog tomorrow, If I ever get out of bed.
                                                                                                                 -Sean



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great for you to work on your fears like that! It isn't easy but I'm glad you didn't let it hold you back from having some fun.

    ReplyDelete